SENSELESS AGAIN – My second experience in a Sensory Deprivation Tank

I did my second session in a Sensory Deprivation tank this past Saturday. You can read about my first time here. I was hoping a second session might bring me a little closer to the answers I’ve been seeking. This time, I decided to book the float tank, which is a little larger than the float pod I was in the first time, just to see if it would help. It was a mixed bag of things that went better, things that went worse, and things that pretty much stayed the same.
What went better:
The tank, as already mentioned, is roomier than the pod. It also had a user-controlled light inside it, so that, once the hatch was closed, the user isn’t immediately in total darkness. Once in position, and ready to move forward, the user could turn the light off (and back on) at will.
Now that I knew what to expect, the apprehension level I’d felt the first time was much lower. I found I was able to quiet my mind and relax my body much more quickly than the first time. There were actually a few moments where I felt like I could have drifted off for a nap, except for…
What went worse:
For some reason, I kept drifting into the sides of the tank this time, where I hadn’t had that much of an issue the first time. The only thing I can think is that the tank is larger than the pods, so maybe it took longer for any ripples to die down, which kept me moving longer. Every time I touched the sides, I had to reposition myself and my thoughts took off again, which kept me from dozing off as I mentioned above.
Although I was able to relax more quickly this time, for some reason, I still had problems relaxing my neck. It wasn’t because I was afraid to let my head float freely. I had to keep pulling my chin toward my chest to stretch the muscles on the back of my neck. It may be because I’m not used to having my head tilted so far back. I really don’t know.
Pretty much the same:
Once again, it felt like there was something supporting my lower back while I floated. It wasn’t as prevalent this time, but it was still unusual. That’s how dense the water is. It takes physical effort to push your hands or feet below the surface once you’re floating freely.
I’m thinking 90 minutes may be a little too long for me. Like last time, by the time the 90 minutes was up (or getting close), I was ready to get out. I know this was aggravated by not being able to totally still my thoughts because I kept bumping into the sides. The last few minutes of my session, I turned the inside light back on and just sat with my back against the side of the tank facing the hatch. Oddly enough, that was relaxing as well. I just rested my head against the side of the tank, let my arms float (my feet were propped against the opposite side), and closed my eyes.
Next time:
I have one more session left on my introductory package. For this final session, I think I’m going back to the smaller pod. Hopefully, I won’t drift as much as I did in the tank. They also have a float “halo” that you can use to support your neck and head. I’m going to use that the next time as well. Maybe my neck will finally relax and I’ll get to find out what this is really all about. Even with the minor setbacks I mentioned, I feel like this was a better session. Other than when interrupted by bumping into the side of the tank, I relaxed more quickly, both mentally and physically, so maybe the next time will be the one.
I’ll let you know.
Again, if you’ve had any experiences using float tanks that you’d like to share, or if you have any questions or advice about float tanks, leave a comment. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s